Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Blonde Shampoo Mini-Review

I have the top layer of my hair bleached some shade of blonde. Even one afternoon in the sun will turn it brassy and an undesirable yellowed hue. This blonde thing is high maintenance! An easy and fast way to de-brass your blonde is to use a purple shampoo specially formulated for blonde or grey hair. It's not bleaching and although some of the shampoos can be a little drying, they are not damaging like toning your hair. Toned hair looks beautiful, but requires a developer which is detrimental to your locks.
I have recently tried three different purple shampoos, which I will give you a quick run-down on.

Shimmer Lights Original Conditioning Shampoo by Clairol Professional:

This shampoo is one of the most commonly used purple shampoos. It is available at beauty supply shops usually and is affordable, between seven and fourteen dollars depending on the size of the bottle and where you purchase it. This shampoo does what it says it will do, which is to remove brassiness and brighten the hair. The directions call for leaving the second lather on for 3-5 minutes depending on how much you would like to brighten. A word of advice? Watch the time! You may have to figure out how long is right for your hair, as the lighter your hair color is, the more likely it will be to pick up the purple pigment. I left on my hair for the maximum time and ended up with a dull dingy ash-like color over my blonde. I have read horror stories of hair turning purple also.If this happens, don't panic! It's temporary and even though it may take a week to fully vanish, I assure you it will. If your hair is not in bad condition, you can use a strong clarifying shampoo daily to strip it out faster. The shampoo is also not conditioning like it claims. I have very dry, frizzy hair that I do my best to deep condition, and this shampoo wasn't the gentlest for me. Do not use this more than a few times a week or it has a dulling affect. Use when you notice your hair is changing back to brassy, and like magic, problem solved.
Shimmer Lights will get the brassy/gold out. It really works, maybe a little too well. Do not overuse this product or you will not achieve the results you are looking for. Easy to get and reasonably priced.
***/****

Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus Ageless Shampoo:

This shampoo says it is for "grey, blonde, bleached or highlighted hair" and says it has antioxidants and CoQ10 in it. The back lists various ingredients that make this shampoo seem like a good idea for hair that needs nourishment. I did not like this shampoo at all! I might as well used generic hotel shampoo; I noticed no difference before and after washing my hair, even the times I left the product in my hair for five minutes. The directions do not even indicate to leave the product in your hair, nor any mention of how often to use. The purple seemed useless, and the shampoo did  not leave my hair particularly soft or manageable.
*/****

Rusk Sensories Bright Shampoo:

Rusk Sensories is a line that is known for it's awesome smells. This shampoo is Chamomille and Lavender and although I can't say it smells exactly like those scents, it smells yummy! I love washing my hair with this product. The back claims that all of their shampoos have "Compressed Formula Technology." Although it sounds all hi-tech, it really just means a little goes a long way. This proves true, the shampoo suds up and foams into a rich lather with just a dollop in your palm, meaning the bottle will last you a little while. Instructions indicate to only leave in 60-90 seconds, but I am able to leave in for several minutes with no negative effect. It does not say how often to use, but I found I am able to use it 3-4 times a week with no dulling and no purple hair. As for removing the brass, this shampoo delivers without the finickiness of Shimmer Lights and smells great. I paid about twelve dollars at a beauty supply for 13.5 ounces, but like I said, this shampoo goes a long way. This is my current favorite shampoo, and I plan to get the matching conditioner next. Will let you know how it goes.
****/****

Have you tried any purple shampoos? What was your experience?









No comments: